The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons offers this advice:
- Do lots of stretches. Stretching will help your muscles stay flexible.
- Try some lightweight training to build up and strengthen your muscles.
- Over time, getting regular exercise can help you retain muscle mass and help prevent weight gain.
- Even occasional exercise can benefit blood pressure, heart health, and some studies indicate it might reduce your risk of cancer.
- Getting just 30 minutes of exercise can boost your overall health. Try fun activities such as dancing and swimming.
- If you haven't exercised before, talk to your doctor before you start.