The American Pregnancy Association offers these recommendations:
- Make sure you get at least 400 micrograms of folate or folic acid each day, either from your diet or from a supplement.
- Get at least 1,000 milligrams per day of calcium -- the equivalent of three 8-ounce glasses of skim milk.
- Talk to your doctor about taking a special vitamin for women who are pregnant or are likely to become pregnant.
- Reduce -- to no more than 300 milligrams daily -- your intake of caffeine, which can affect fertility and the body's ability to absorb calcium and iron.
- Avoid alcohol, drugs, cigarettes and artificial sweeteners.